Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) Subcabinet
Lt. Governor Brown Announces Significant BRAC Transportation Progress at Fort Meade
Lt. Governor Brown, chairman of the Governor’s Subcabinet on Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC), announced new funding, new partnerships and new initiatives to support BRAC jobs coming to Fort George G. Meade in Anne Arundel County, including the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding with all public, private and governmental parties to develop a Transportation Demand Management Plan for Fort Meade.
Brown also announced that the State Highway Administration signed an agreement that will advance the widening of MD175 between the Baltimore/Washington Parkway (MD295) and Rockenbach Road, which includes one of the main entrances to Fort Meade. In addition, the State will invest $200,000 to launch the Baltimore region’s first “Guaranteed Ride Home Program” (GRH).
- Eased the school transfer process for military children
- Established BRAC Zones, providing financial incentives to areas that are expecting growth due to BRAC
- Funded $2.8 million for MHEC BRAC Higher Education Grants, distributed to state universities and colleges
- Implemented a Memorandum of Understanding to address environmental and water usage issues in northeastern Maryland
Learn about BRAC's progress in Maryland: Read the 2010 Annual BRAC Progress Report.
Governor O'Malley recently signed an Executive Order creating the Maryland State Council on Educational Opportunity for Military Children, ensuring children of military families moving to Maryland are afforded the same opportunities for educational success as other children.
“Because of our strong partnerships with local and federal government, the business community and the military, we are confident that BRAC will be successful. We will continue to run the plays in our Action Plan to fully realize our BRAC potential and create as many jobs and opportunities as possible.”
–Lt. Governor Brown
- Statement on Anniversary of September 11th Attacks 9.11.14
- Statement on 20th Anniversary of VAWA 9.10.14
- Lt. Gov. Holds Roundtable Discussion with Maryland Farmers 9.8.14
- Statement on Baltimore Ravens 9.8.14