Delivering for our Veterans
Veterans Full Employment Act Connects Returning Veterans with Job Opportunities
The O’Malley-Brown Administration recently set a new goal to reach full employment for Maryland veterans by the end of 2015. During the 2013 legislative session, Lt. Governor Brown fought for legislation enacted by the General Assembly that removes certain barriers to employment that service members often face when making the transition from military service to the civilian workforce. The legislation also expedites the occupational and professional licensing process for military spouses when a military family moves to Maryland.
The Veterans Full Employment Act ensures that veterans who apply for occupational and professional licenses in Maryland get credit for their military training, education, and experience; requires Maryland’s public institutions of higher education to develop and implement policies for awarding academic credit for relevant military training and education; and establishes an expedited licensing procedure for veterans, servicemembers, and military spouses who relocate to Maryland and hold an occupational or professional licensure in another state.
First Lady Michelle Obama visited the Annapolis for the bill signing ceremony with Governor O'Malley and Lt. Governor Brown. Click here to see photos from the event.
- Launched Mil2FedJobs, the first in the nation web portal to connect returning veterans to jobs in the federal government.
- Funded over $400,000 in loans through the Veterans No Interest Business Loan Program.
- Established the Maryland College Collaboration for Student Veterans, joined by 39 colleges and universities pledging to improve on-campus services for student veterans
Maryland's Commitment to Veterans: Call 1-877-770-4801 or visit www.veterans.maryland.gov
Maryland is committed to supporting veteran employment. Starting June 1, and continuing for 100 days, Maryland employers are challenged to incorporate or expand upon established veteran hiring initiatives. At the conclusion of the Challenge, employers will be recognized for their participation. For more information and to register, click here.
- Statement on 70th Anniversary of D-Day 6.6.14
- Lease Agreement Approved for Therapeutic Service Dog Training Program for Veterans 5.29.14
- Operation Hire: Maryland's 100 Day Veteran Hiring Challenge Begins 5.26.14
- Statement on Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day 12.7.13
- Statement from Lt. Governor Brown on Veterans Day 11.11.13
- Final Passage of Veterans Full Employment Act 4.8.13
- Lt. Gov. Praises VA Plan of Action on Veterans' Claims Backlog 2.19.13
- Lt. Gov. Announces New MVA Services for Veterans 1.14.13
- New Get Out the Vote Program in Tribute to our Veterans 10.17.12
- New Homeownership Incentives for Veterans and Military Families 7.3.12
- Free MDOT Veterans Resource Expo Announced 4.5.12
- Lt. Gov. Receives AMVETS Free State Award of Excellence 3.31.12
- Maryland Receives $1.6M in Federal Funds to Help Homeless Veterans 3.27.12
- General Assembly Passes Bill to Create Veteran Status on Maryland Drivers' Licenses 3.15.12
- Statement on the End of the War in Iraq 12.14.11
- Lt. Gov. Presides Over First VetStat Meeting 11.10.11
- Lt. Gov. Attends White House Press Conference on Putting Veterans Back to Work 11.07.11